Lunar Eclipse 2022: Sutak timings, mantras to chant; Dos and Don'ts to follow during Chandra Grahan
New Delhi, May 15: Look up at the Moon today to catch a glimpse of the lunar eclipse of 2022. The celestial event is visible in total phase from portions of the Americas, Antarctica, Europe, Africa and the east Pacific.
The longest duration of totality would be 1 hour 24 minutes and 27 seconds.
A lunar eclipse occurs on a full moon day when the Earth comes in between the Sun and the Moon and when all the three objects are aligned. A total lunar eclipse will occur when the whole Moon comes under the umbral shadow of the Earth and the partial lunar eclipse occurs when only a part of the Moon comes under the umbral shadow of the Earth.
Lunar Eclipse or Red Moon 2022: Timings
First Contact with the Umbra - 07:58 AM
Total Phase Begins - 08:59 AM
Maximum of Lunar Eclipse - 09:41 AM
Total Phase Ends - 10:23 AM
Last Contact with the Umbra - 11:24 AM
Last Contact with the Penumbra - 12:20 PM
Duration of Total Phase - 01 Hour 24 Mins 27 Secs
Duration of Partial Phase - 03 Hours 26 Mins 26 Secs
Duration of Penumbral Phase - 05 Hours 17 Mins 32 Secs
Magnitude of Lunar Eclipse - 1.41
Magnitude of Penumbral Lunar Eclipse - 2.37
Is Lunar Eclipse 2022 visible in India?
Unfortunately, Lunar Eclipse 2022 will not be visible from India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and other countries in east Asia.
Lunar Eclipse 2022: Sutak Timings
Sutak starts 9 hours before the lunar eclipse and this period is considered inauspicious. During this period, people follow the Sutak and refrain from doing religious activities and no new work is performed.
Lunar Eclipse 2022: Mantras to chant
Chandra Beej Mantra
OM Shraam Shreem Shraum Sah Chandraya Namah
Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya Dhanvantraye Amrita Kalasha Hastaya, Sarva Maya Vinashanaya Trailoka Nathaya, Shri Mahavishnave
Namah Mahamrityunjaya Mantra
Om Trayambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam Uruvarukamiva Bandhanaan Mrityormukshiya Maamritaat
Dos and Don'ts to follow during Chandra Grahan
- In India, lunar eclipse is considered as inauspicious and refrain from eating or cooking. Pregnant women are advised to be extra cautious.
- Lunar eclipses are not effective as Solar eclipses and safe to watch directly through eyes.
- According to Indian mythology, one should chant holy mantras like the Mahamrityunjay mantra. This decreases the harmful impact of negative energy caused by the eclipse.
- People put Tulsi leaves to the food items to avoid the negative energy.
- One should avoid eating and drinking during the eclipse phase too. People also advise to not step out during the grahan it may radiate harmful rays.
- It is believed that during pregnancy when a pregnant woman watches a lunar eclipse, the baby will have a cleft lip.