Mumbai woman shocked to find 'dead insect' in multivitamin capsule
Mumbai, July 10: After maggi and other instant food items were recently banned for not following the required safety and quality standards, now, it is the turn of medicines, to face the heat.
According to a report published in Mid Day, a 32-year-old woman, Ramya Venkat, got the shock of her life when she found a 'dead insect' inside the multivitamin translucent capsule.
The incident was reported on July 2, Thursday, from Sion, Mumbai, when Ramya was just about to swallow the capsule. But, thankfully, she noticed it before consuming it.
Ramya has been taking the same medicine from last eleven months, since, her pregnancy. After noticing the insect in the capsule, Ramya began wondering whether in the past, she might have consumed the faulty pill.
The medicine is being manufactured by Chennai-based service provider, Nouveau Medicament.
On July 3, Friday, When Ramya complaint to the company via mail, she also attached the photo of the capsule containing dead insect.
Then, the Vice President of the company responded saying, "it was "very unfortunate" that there was "some black particle" inside the capsule.
The company also offered an apology and to compensate for their goof-up, they gave her a box of the same medicines, containing 10 strips, for free.
Ramya has written to the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) and is also planning to approach the consumer court.
Meanwhile, Harshdeep Kamble, Commissioner of the state Food and Drugs Administration department, was quoted saying as, "We will review the entire batch to which this particular pill belonged. If the claims are found to be true, we will take action against the organisation."