US issues travel warning to its citizens living in North Korea
The US State Department is issuing a new travel warning for North Korea that reflects the Trump administration's new travel ban.
The US urged Americans in North Korea to get out before a travel ban goes into effect on September 1.
The ban was announced last month and was published Wednesday in the Federal Register. That triggers a month-long period before it takes effect.
The warning says exceptions to the travel ban need special permission that will only be granted "under very limited circumstances." The State Department says it doesn't yet know when it will release information on how to apply for an exception.
Previous US travel warnings also urged Americans not to travel to North Korea.
The Trump Administration on July 21 announced plans to ban its citizens from travelling to North Korea, attributing it to the serious risk of arrest and long- term detention of Americans in the reclusive nation.
The move came following the death of university student Otto Warmbier, who was returned to the US in a coma after spending time in a North Korean prison.