• search
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS  
For Daily Alerts

23 dead as dinghy sinks in Mediterranean: EU naval force

By PTI
|

Rome, November 4: The EU's anti-migrant task force said the bodies of 23 people were recovered from the Mediterranean after the dinghy they were travelling in sank.

23 dead as dinghy sinks in Mediterranean (Representative image)

EU Navfor Med said 64 others were rescued after their inflatable vessel began taking on water.

"A tough day in the Central Mediterranean Sea where, once again, the different actors at sea and over the air, no matter the uniforms, aims and capabilities, have demonstrated their commitment in safeguarding human life at sea," the force said on its Facebook page.

It said a total of 263 people had been rescued, including 146 "migrants in distress" saved by a Spanish ship as part of the European Union's anti-trafficking force.

According to Italy's interior ministry, more than 111,000 people have reached the country by sea in the first 10 months of 2017, a 30 percent decrease from the previous year.

The International Migration Organization says 150,000 have arrived in Europe via the Mediterranean and 2,826 people have died while attempting the crossing.

PTI

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more