'Will decide our future course of action': Asaram Bapu’s spokesperson after conviction
Reacting to Asaram's conviction, Asaram spokesperson Neelam Dubey said, "We will discuss with our legal team and then decide our future course of action. We have confidence in our judiciary." Self-styled godman Asaram was today convicted by a court here for raping a teenager at his ashram in 2013.
Special Judge (SC/ST court) Madhusudhan Sharma delivered the verdict in the Jodhpur Central jail premises.
Meanwhile, Victim's family have welcomed the verdict and thanked the media for support.
"Asaram is convicted, we have got justice. I want to thank everyone who supported us in this fight. Now I hope he will get strict punishment. I also hope the witnesses who were murdered or kidnapped get justice," Father of Shahjahanpur victim told the media after the court verdict.
The 77-year-old Asaram was arrested in Indore and brought to Jodhpur on September 1, 2013. He is under judicial custody since September 2, 2013.
The chargesheet against Asaram and four other co-accused Shiva, Shilpi, Sharad and Prakash was filed by the police on November 6, 2013, under various sections of the POSCO Act, Juvenile Justice Act and IPC.
Asaram is also facing a rape case in Surat in Gujarat in which the Supreme Court earlier this month gave five weeks time to the prosecution to complete the trial.