Who is HD Kumaraswamy aka Kumaranna?
Haradanahalli Devegowda Kumaraswamy set to begin his second inning as chief minister of Karnataka on Monday. In a dramatic political development, Kumaraswamy was offered a deal by Sonia Gandhi in an alliance with Congress on the day of counting.
This post-poll alliance spoiled the celebrations of BJP members on the emergence of the party as the single largest political party in the state. Once called as BJP's 'B-team' by Congress President Rahul Gandhi, the JDS is in driver's seat in the state.
Kumaraswamy was born in Haradanahalli, Holenarasipura Taluk, Hassan District 16 December 1959. He completed primary education in a government school in Hassan District. He finished his high school studies in Bangalore's MES Educational Institution in Jayanagar. He completed his PUC from Vijaya College and earned his B.Sc. from National College in Jayanagar, Bangalore.
He married Anitha on 13 March 1986. Kumaraswamy and Anitha have a son, Nikhil Gowda. Kumaraswamy married Kannada actress Radhika in 2006. They have a daughter together named Shamika K. Swamy.
Kumaraswamy's political journey:
- 1996: Elected to 11th Lok Sabha
- 2004-08: Member, Karnataka Legislative Assembly
- Feb. 2006-Oct.2007: Chief Minister of Karnataka
- 2009: Re-elected to 15th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 31 August 2009: Member, Committee on Rural Development
- 15 October 2009: Member, Committee on Food Management in Parliament House Complex.
- 31 May 2013: Leader of Opposition in the Karnataka Legislative Assembly.