Union minister Santosh Gangwar says fuss shouldn't be created over one or two rape cases
Union Minister Santosh Gangwar made yet another controversial remark by saying that people should not make a fuss over one or two rape incidents.
Speaking to media, Gangwar said, ''Such cases are unfortunate, but sometimes cannot be prevented. Governments everywhere are alert and action is being taken. Fuss shouldn't be made if one or two such incidents take place in a vast nation.''
Meanwhile, taking to Twitter, Gangwar welcomed Union Cabinets approval for the death penalty to child rapists.
"I welcome the provision of death penalty for rape of any girl below 12 years and increasing punishment from 10 to 20 years if a girl below 16 years is violated. This will help in bringing deterrence in society. All of us have to stand up against this crime," he tweeted.
Earlier on Saturday, the cabinet led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the death penalty for those convicted of raping children up to 12 years.
The move seeking the death penalty for child rapists comes in the backdrop of nationwide outrage over the brutal rape of an eight-year-old girl in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir, the alleged rape of a minor in Unnao by a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator, and rising anger over a spate of such incidents being reported over the past few weeks.