Shocking: Delhi school served ‘dead rat’ in midday meal, 9 students hospitalised
New Delhi, Feb 17: Imagine a bunch of school-going kids all excited to enjoy their food. Instead, they were served a 'dead rat' in their meal. That's exactly what has happened in a government-run school in the national capital on Thursday. The incident has left nine children ill, who are currently undergoing treatment in a hospital.
The entire episode has shocked the nation. It has once again brought to light the poor quality food served to underprivileged children as a part of their midday meal across the country. "Nine students at a government school in Delhi hospitalised after they consumed a midday meal in which a dead rat was allegedly found," reported ANI.
"Rat was found in the meal my son had consumed yesterday, such negligence is not acceptable," a mother of one of the students hospitalised, told ANI. Senior Congress leader Kiran Walia demanded an enquiry into the whole episode. "Strict supervision must be done on cleanliness and hygiene during food preparation. We ordered an enquiry. Nobody should be spared," said Walia.
The incident happened at Government Boys' Senior Secondary School in Deoli area, Delhi. The students were rushed to Madan Mohan Malviya Hospital after they fell ill.
Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia visited the students at the hospital. "A rat has been found in midday meal in a government school. Nine students were rushed to hospital. I have spoken to doctors and the children are fine," Sisodia informed in a tweet.
"An FIR is also being lodged and from tomorrow our officers will monitor cooking of food in the kitchen," he added. The school authorities have filed a complaint in this regard, police officials said.
"Today a PCR (police control room) call was received informing that nine children of GBSSS fell ill after consuming midday meal." "All the children are out of danger. School authorities are giving complaint in this regard," said a senior police officer.