Saseendran 'sleaze talk' was a sting op, channel apologies
A Malayalam channel that aired the audio clipping of former minister Saseendran's lewd conversation, confessed that it was a sting operation and offered an unconditional apology. The channel's CEO Ajithkumar's apology was telecast on Thursday night. Mangalam channel also claimed that it was a 'mistake' and would not be repeated again. The audio clipping that was made public led to the resignation of Saseendran who was the transport minister.
The CEO while offering the apology said that an eight-member team was involved in the sting operation where a woman journalist of the channel had "voluntarily" come forward to trap the minister. The apology came a day after a former employee took to Facebook to criticise the channel for unethical behaviour. The police had also started tracking the woman with who the minister is said to have had the inappropriate conversation.
NCP wants Saseendran back in cabinet
Saseendran who returned to his home town on Thursday was accorded a hero's welcome. The former transport minister had resigned from his post on moral grounds after the audio controversy broke out. While the NCP had been pushing Thomas Chandy to be appointed as the transport minister, the channel's confession has changed their plans. They have now demanded that Saseendran be reinstated as a cabinet minister.