Remembering Sushma Swaraj on her death anniversary: Facts about Iron Lady of India
New Delhi, Aug 06: Remembering the youngest ever cabinet minister and known for also being a people's minister in her tenure while handling the berth External Affairs, Sushma Swaraj was one of the most prominent faces of the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) who immensely contributed to party's growth and never shied away from taking challenges.
Sushma Swaraj passed away at the age of 67.
Rich tributes poured in on Friday for former External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on her second death anniversary, with political leaders remembering her powerful oratory, compassion and rich contribution to India's diplomacy.
As External Affairs Minister in the previous Modi government, Swaraj brought a rare empathy and a human approach in helping out the Indian diaspora in distress with her revolutionary social media outreach.
In her tenure as External Affairs Minister, Swaraj brought a sense of assertiveness in India's diplomacy besides making the diaspora a central focus of the country's foreign policy priorities.
Swaraj was one of the most followed Foreign Ministers on Twitter globally. The powerful orator was an easily-accessible leader who played a key role in the BJP's emergence in the late 1990s.
A number of leaders paid glowing tributes to Swaraj.
Remembering #sushmaswaraj our firebrand leader,crusader for popular causes,orator par excellence,humane administrator, exemplary parliamentarian ! Will always miss her— Suresh Prabhu (@sureshpprabhu) August 6, 2021
Remembering former External Affairs Minister Smt Sushma Swaraj Ji on her Punyatithi. An eloquent orator and an outstanding parliamentarian she will always be remembered for her compassionate approach in helping fellow Indians distressed on foreign shores.#SushmaSwaraj pic.twitter.com/1GR6WdXw05— Dr Sudhakar K (@mla_sudhakar) August 6, 2021
A lady with fierce opinions, a key figure in transformation of Indian diplomacy. Her eloquent Hindi speeches at the Parliament will always help us grow. We miss her voice today on her 2nd death anniversary. #sushmaswaraj pic.twitter.com/7SDvwrwp45— Viral Bhayani (@viralbhayani77) August 6, 2021
Facts about Iron Lady of India:
- Swaraj started practice as an advocate in the Supreme Court of India in 1973. Sushma started her career as the student leader in the early 1970s.
- Swaraj also got the title of Supermom of India by the Washington Post because she saved hundreds of Indian people stuck in other nations and vice versa.
- Swaraj had many firsts to her credit - the youngest cabinet minister in the Haryana government, the first woman chief minister of Delhi and the first woman spokesperson of a national political party in the country.
- She was Information and Broadcasting minister in the 13-day Atal Bihari Vajpayee government in 1996 and got the Cabinet portfolio again after he led the BJP to power in 1998.
- Long seen as a protege of veteran BJP leader L K Advani, she also was the Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha between 2009 and 2014.
- Swaraj was elected seven times as a member of Parliament and three times as a member of the legislative assembly.