Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann ties the knot with Dr Gurpreet Kaur
Chandigarh, July 07: Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Thursday tied the nuptial knot with Dr Gurpreet Kaur for the second time in the presence of close family and friends. This is Mann's second marriage, as he separated from his first wife in 2015. He has two children from his first marriage.
The regular 'band, bajaa, baraat' were missing but the festivities seemed intact as Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann turned groom for his wedding with a doctor from Kurukshetra at his home on Thursday.
It was a private ceremony without the usual crowds, so much a part of the big, fat Punjabi wedding. Though few details were available, visuals on television and Twitter showed Mann and his bride at the Anand Karaj ceremony.
Aam Aadmi Party colleague Raghav Chadha also shared some images on Twitter showing Mann, in his yellow turban with 'kalgi' and a gold coloured kurta-pyjama while Kaur donned a red coloured dress.
There were also pictures of the groom at his festooned home, walking under a 'phulkari dupatta' held up by Chadha among others, and at the ceremony.
Waheguru Ji Apne Bacche Utte Aashirwad Banaye Rakheo 🙏🏻 pic.twitter.com/snnmdTi1sw— Raghav Chadha (@raghav_chadha) July 7, 2022
Both Mann and Kaur could be seen smiling in one of the pictures while another showed them sitting together for lunch post the wedding rituals.
Mann sahab nu lakh lakh vadhaiyan! pic.twitter.com/vDBQiytLsE— Raghav Chadha (@raghav_chadha) July 7, 2022
One of Chadha's post showed Mann and himself on a sofa. He quoted a Punjabi song of celebration, "Saade veer da vyah, Saanu gode gode chah", as the caption.
Saade veer da vyah— Raghav Chadha (@raghav_chadha) July 7, 2022
Saanu gode gode chah pic.twitter.com/0c09v6YG4N
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, Chadha, AAP MP Sanjay Singh and other leaders were also present at the ceremony.
Later in a tweet, Kejriwal congratulated the couple. "Wishing Bhagwant Mann and Gurpreet Bhabhi for marriage," said Kejriwal.
Here are some facts about Dr Gurpreet Kaur
- Dr Gurpreet Kaur is a 32-year-old and belongs to Pehowa in Haryana's Kurukshetra. She did her MBBS from a private university in Haryana four years ago. She had enrolled for MBBS in 2013 in Maharishi Markandeshwar Medical College and completed that in 2018.
- Her father Inderjit Singh Natt is a farmer. As per media reports, he has previously served as the sarpanch of Madanpur village. Her mother is a homemaker.
- Gurpreet Kaur's neighbours told reporters that she is lovingly called 'Gopi' and is a kind-hearted, caring, intelligent young woman. She is the youngest among three sisters
- Dr. Gurpreet Kaur reportedly came in contact with Mann one-and-half years ago. As per media reports, Mann's mother and sister chose the bride.
- She is currently said to be working as a physician.
- The neighbours know the bride by the name Gopi. As per reports, the marriage is an arranged one. The marriage will be solemnised as per Sikh rituals.
On the other hand, Bhagwant Singh Mann is a comedian turned politician. He had taken oath on March 16 as Punjab chief minister at a ceremony held in freedom fighter Bhagat Singh's village Khatkar Kalan village in Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar district. AAP had stormed to power in Punjab earlier this year winning 92 of the 117 Assembly seats.
Before joining politics, he used to make comedy routines on issues related to business, sports and politics. He had done many International shows as well before participating in the Great Indian Laughter Challenge in 2008.