For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts
Privacy a fundamental right: SC judgment in five points
The Supreme Court held that Right to Privacy is a fundamental right. A nine judge Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court over ruled two previous verdicts which had held that Right to Privacy is not a fundamental right.
Right to Privacy is a Fundamental Right, says Supreme Court of India | Oneindia News
Here is the judgement in a nutshell:
- SC holds privacy a fundamental right.
- SC overrules eight judge bench judgment in MP Sharma case and six judge bench judgment in Kharak Singh both of which had ruled that privacy is not a fundamental right.
- Right to privacy is intrinsic to right to life
- Right to privacy is also intrinsic to the entire fundamental right chapter of Constitution.
- SC holds that citizens right to privacy is part of their Fundamental rights, it is part of Article 21 of constitution.