President Pranab all set to review naval fleet today in Vizag
Vishakhapatnam, Feb 06: The International Fleet Review (IFR) being held in the coastal city of Vishakhapatnam will witness one of the most-awaited and inspiring events today.
Supreme Commander of Indian Armed Forces and President of India Pranab Mukherjee will be reviewing the naval fleet.
The President would embark on the Presidential Yacht, INS Sumitra and would sail through 75 ships at anchorage off Visakhapatnam. Ahead, of the review, he would receive a 21-gun salute and the ceremonial Guard of Honour.
INS Sumitra, an indigenously built Naval Offshore Patrol Vessel (NOPV), will lead the Presidential Column. The yacht will be distinguished by the Ashoka emblem on her side and flying of the President's Standard on the Mast.
Navy Spokesperson Capt D K Sharma said that this will be the 11th IFR after Independence and the second one being conducted in India.
"The review will have a combination of ships from Indian Navy as well as frontline Navies from across the globe.
The ships of Indian Coast Guard and Mercantile Marine will also be participating. In this most formal of naval ceremonials, each ship dressed in full regalia will salute the President as he passes," Capt Sharma said.
Here are some highlights of the President's review
* The President will review the international fleet comprising of 75 frontline ships and submarines.
* Each ship will be manned by her ship's company, dressing in white ceremonial uniforms.
* White caps will be doffed in unison in a grand salutation resounding the sound of ‘Three Jais' symbolising the spirit of camaraderie and bonhomie across the seas.
* A fly-past will comprise of 15 formations of 45 aircraft including two formations from the Indian Coast Guard.
* There will be 15 formations during the flypast with President reviewing the Indian Naval Air Arm.
* The spectators will be treated with enthralling display of water front activities by sail boats, water skiing, display by Marine Commandos and helicopter demonstrations.
* Finally, a mobile column of warships and submarines will steam past the Presidential Yatch INS Sumitra.