Cabinet clears draft bill to replace GST ordinances for J&K
The Union cabinet has passed various bills today at a cabinet meeting presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The Cabinet approved a draft bill to replace ordinances that were promulgated to introduce the Goods and Services Tax (GST) in Jammu and Kashmir.
The Central government had earlier this month promulgated ordinances to make the Central GST (CGST) and Integrated GST (IGST), which deals with inter-state commerce, applicable to the state.
Govt's nod to set up 31 AIR FM transmitters in border areas
The government has approved the plan to set up 31 new FM transmitters of the All India Radio in border areas.
In a written reply, Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Rathore said the All India Radio (AIR) has already set up 36 frequency modulation (FM) transmitters at 33 locations in border areas.
"In addition to this, schemes of setting up of 31 new FM transmitters have been approved for implementation in the border areas, including North-East states," he said.
Bill on IIITs passed in Lok Sabha
The Lok Sabha on Wednesday passed a bill declaring the 15 existing IIITs, established through public-private partnership, as institutions of national importance, enabling them to grant degrees.
Centre approves projects seeking to address climate change
The environment ministry today approved projects aimed at addressing the vulnerabilities arising out of climate change in Rajasthan, Gujarat and Sikkim.
ONGC-HPCL merger gets cabinet's in-principle approval
The Union cabinet on Wednesday gave in principle approval for oil giant Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) to acquire Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL). The merger has been approved with the cabinet agreeing to sell 51 per cent stake in HPCL to ONGC.
With the in-principle nod, the ONGC-HPCL Merger is set to be completed in one year. The cabinet has also agreed to form a committee to take the merger forward. The committee will have Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Road and Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari and Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan on board.
Cabinet apprised of MoU between India, Netherlands on space technology
The Union Cabinet apprised of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and the Netherlands on cooperation in exploration and uses of outer space for peaceful purposes.
The MoU was signed on May 11 and 22, 2017 at Bengaluru and The Hague, respectively.
Here are the other major decisions taken today
- Memorandum of Cooperation on tax matters between India and Revenue administrations of BRICS countries.
- Revalidation of permission to raise Extra Budgetary Resource as Government bonds by Inland Waterways Authority of India.
- Cadre Review of Indian Defence Accounts Service.
- IRDAI's admission as signatory to Int'l Association of Insurance Supervisors, Multilateral Memorandum of Understanding.
- Cabinet clears alternative mechanism for strategic sale of PSUs, which will take care of all other strategic sale including HPCL divestment.
- Revision of guidelines pertaining to Indian Community Welfare Fund.
- Cabinet clears IRDAI signing pact for information exchange.
- Cabinet nod for modified implementation strategy of BharatNet.
- Cabinet okays IWAI raising Rs 660 cr through bonds this fiscal.
- Cabinet approves revision of Indian Community Welfare Fund guidelines.
- Cabinet nod for insurance regulator's global MoU on info exchange.