Malegaon blast: Col Purohit likely to be released today at 10 AM
Colonel Shrikant Purohit, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast who was granted bail by the Supreme Court will be released on Wednesday at 10 AM, sources said. Although he is attached to an Army unit, he will remain under suspension from service.
Earlier on Monday, the Supreme Court granted bail to Lt Col Purohit in the Malegaon blasts case. His bail was granted after Purohit had spent more than eight years in jail. The court said that Purohit should cooperate with the investigations. He should not tamper with the evidence or influence the witnesses the court also said.
Lt Col Purohit was accused of floating Abhinav Bharat, a right-wing group that was allegedly involved the twin blasts that killed seven people in Malegaon, a textile town 270 km from Mumbai, on September 29, 2008. Lt Col Purohit is also accused of collecting huge funds and using them to procure arms and explosives and organising meetings, where the Malegaon attack was planned.
He was arrested along with Hindu leader Sadhi Pragya Thakur, who was given clean chit by the NIA earlier this year.
Seven people were killed in a bomb blast in 2008 in Malegaon town Malegaon in the Nasik district of northern Maharashtra.