• search
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS  
For Daily Alerts

Kerala: 3-year-old boy dies after swallowing coin; relatives allege govt hospitals’ negligence

|

Kochi, Aug 02:A three-year-old boydied after he accidentally swallowed a coin at his home near Aluva, with relatives alleging that government hospitals where he was taken to had refused to admit him as he came from a COVID-19 containment zone.

Keral3 year-old boy dies after swallowing coin; relatives allege govt hospitals refused to admit him

Health Minister K K Shailaja termed the incident as "very unfortunate" and directed the Principal Secretary (Health) to submit a report after a thorough enquiry. Stringent action would be taken if any lapses were found, she said in a statement.

Heavy rains likely in 10 districts of Kerala as IMD issues yellow alert

The boy's relatives alleged that he was denied treatment as their residence fell in a COVID-19 containment zone at Kadungallur near Aluva. They said the incident occurred on Saturday morning following which the parents took the child to the Aluva government hospital, where an X-ray was done and revealed the presence of the object. However, the hospital authorities allegedly did not admit the child.

A senior doctor there claimed that the boy was not admitted as there was no paediatric surgeon and so he was referred to the Ernakulam General Hospital. Doctors there examined the child and referred him to the Government Medical College Hospital, Alappuzha,for better medical care, where too he was allegedly not admitted.

Kerala gold smuggling case: State BJP demands Chief Minister's resignation

    LK Advani, MM Joshi to attend Ayodhya ceremony via video confrencing|Oneindia News

    The doctors reportedly advised the parents to give their child fruits, which, they said, would result in the coin passing through his motion. The parents, who belong to a poor family, took the child back to their home in Kadungallur. However his condition worsened by evening and they rushed him to Aluva government hospital, but he died en route, police said.

    The body would be handed over to the parents after post- mortem, health authorities said. His swab has been collected for COVID-19 test, they said.

    For Daily Alerts
    Get Instant News Updates
    Enable
    x
    Notification Settings X
    Time Settings
    Done
    Clear Notification X
    Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
    Settings X
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more