He 'waved' Pakistani flag in Kashmir and was arrested: Controversy over Masarat Alam explained
Alam, who recently was released from jail, was put on house arrest on Thursday. However, a day after he was taken into police custody.
What is the fresh controversy over Masarat Alam?
- He has been accused of waving Pakistani flag in Kashmir.
- He also allegedly raised anti-India slogan during a rally in the valley.
- An FIR has been filed against him in Badgam Police Station.
- Similar allegations have been hurled against Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Bashir Ahmad Bhat alias Peer Saifullah and other separatist leaders.
- The separatist leaders allegedly are involved in provocative activities and hoisting Pakistani flag in Hyderpora.
- Alam, however, refused all allegations saying he did not wave Pakistani flag.
Protest over Masarat Alam's arrest:
- Massive protests were held in Srinagar and other parts of Kashmir over Alam's arrest.
- Protesters showed black flags to the police.
- Alam was scheduled to take part in a protest rally against one alleged fake encounter case.
Alam's plan to hold protest rally:
- Hours before the scheduled protest rally, Alam was arrested. Alam and Geelani called for a march to Tral area of Pulwama district.
- Two youth were killed in an anti-militancy operation on Monday.
- Locals asserted that the duo were killed in fake encounter.
- However, Army claimed that the duo were militants and they were killed in a gunbattle.
- Police informed that separatists will not be allowed to hold any march to Tral town in order to maintain law and order in the area.