Karnataka cabinet formation: The seven possibilities
As the deadlock continues over the allocation of portfolios in Karnataka, there are many possibilities. The sparring over the finance portfolio between the JD(S) and Congress is one of the major stumbling blocks.
The bargain by the Congress has been a hard one and the party wants to keep with it the important portfolios. The argument by the Congress is that despite it having a much larger number, it had conceded the Chief Minister's post. H D Deve Gowda had however clarified he had offered the post to the Congress first.
Let us take a look at the possibilities:
- Congress gives up finance portfolio, but insists on two deputy CMs.
- JD(S) gives up finance portfolio, but says no to deputy CMs.
- Congress agrees to give up finance and also demand for two deputy CMs, but then insists on term sharing.
- No second deputy CM and finance portfolio for JD(S). Congress gets home, rural development, Bengaluru development and Panchayat Raj.
- JD(S) gets to keep finance and PWD.
- JD(S) agrees for term sharing.
- Kumaraswamy offers to resign as Congress does not give up on demands.