• search
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS  
For Daily Alerts

Govt backs press freedom: Prakash Javadekar on lifting ban on 2 Malayalam channels

By PTI
|

Pune, Mar 07: Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar on Saturday said the Centre has lifted the 48-hour ban on two Malayalam news channels, which were suspended over their coverage of the communal violence in Delhi, and stated that the government supports the freedom of press.

Speaking to reporters in Pune in Maharashtra, Javadekar said that he would look into the matter and issue orders if necessary.

Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar

He said the prime minister has expressed concern over the entire issue.

Javadekar also advocated 'responsible freedom' for media.

The 48-hour ban was imposed on Asianet News and Media One on Friday for reportage that could 'enhance communal disharmony' across the country.

'Two Kerala channels were banned for 48 hours. We immediately found out what exactly happened and therefore we immediately restored the channels,' Javadekar said.

After a brief ban two Malayalam TV channels back on air

The minister said that transmission of Asianet News was restored on Friday night after its owner talked to him, and that of Media One on Saturday morning.

    NEWS AT 3 PM, MARCH 7th, 2020

    'Our basic thought process is that the freedom of press is absolutely essential in the democratic set up and that is the commitment of Modi government,' he said.

    Referring to the Emergency, Javadekar said the freedom of press was suppressed in those days. 'We went to jails against that and we secured the freedom of press,' he added.

    He said Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed concern over the entire issue.

    'I will definitely go into the details and take essential steps if there is any wrongdoing. But let me also tell you that everybody should accept that there has to be responsible freedom,' Javadekar said.

    The minister said that views of the News Broadcasters Association (NBA) have been sought after he spoke with its president Rajat Sharma.

    'We have sought their inputs so we will take correct actions. I am very much sure that the media will also exercise responsible freedom,' he added.

    The channels were suspended for 48 hours over their coverage of the last month's communal violence in Delhi, with the official orders saying that they covered events on February 25 in a manner that 'highlighted the attack on places of worship and siding towards a particular community'.

    'Channel's reporting on Delhi violence seems to be biased as it is deliberately focusing on the vandalism of CAA supporters,' the ministry order on Media One had said. 'It also questions RSS and alleges Delhi Police inaction. Channel seems to be critical towards Delhi Police and RSS.' The ministry had ordered prohibition of transmission or re-transmission of Media One and Asianet News for 48 hours on any platform throughout India with effect from 7.30 pm on Friday to 7.30 pm on Sunday.

    For Daily Alerts
    Get Instant News Updates
    Enable
    x
    Notification Settings X
    Time Settings
    Done
    Clear Notification X
    Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
    Settings X
    X
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more