Five dead after inhaling toxic gas in Andhra
Mogalthur: Five people died of suffocation after they inhaled the poisonous gas in an aqua food processing unit at Nallavari Cheruvu under Mogalthur of West Godavari district in Andhra Pradesh.
Though three died on the spot, the remaining two were rushed to a hospital where they died while undergoing treatment.
According to a senior police official, five workers on Thursday morning entered into a tank to clean that was filled with poisonous chemicals. They are said to have inhaled the poisonous gas which lead to the deaths.
The deceased have been identified as Boddu Rambabu, N Edukondalu, Praveen, Eega Edukondalu and Thota Sreenivasarao.
Andhra Pradesh: 5 died after gas leakage in a food processing unit at Mogalthur area of West Godavari district.— ANI (@ANI_news) March 30, 2017
The deceased who are between 21 to 25 years old are said to be daily wage labours from nearby villages.
Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has spoken to the West Godavari district collector Katamaneni Bhaskar and enquired about the incident. He directed the collector to take up relief measures immediately.
Similarly, Deputy Chief minister N Chinarajappa has directed the Superintendent of Police Bhaskar Bhushan to rush to the spot and take stock of the situation.
While the kin of the deceased have alleged negligence, the authorities are probing to ascertain the exact reason for the incident.