• search
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS  
For Daily Alerts

Every 8th Punjabi out of 10 is suffering from mental illness: Survey

|

Chandigarh: The National Mental Health Survey of Punjab 2016-17 has revealed that one out of the eight Punjabis is suffering from mental illness and around 80% Punjabis are not getting treatment.

Punjabis over the age of 18 are dependent on alcohol and around 4 lakh people in the state taking drugs like opium and heroin.

The data was released on Friday by the department of psychiatry, Government Medical College, and Hospital in Punjab. The National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences from Bengaluru had coordinated with the project.

The survey states that a total of 2,895 adult population from hailing from the districts- Patiala, Ludhiana, Moga and Faridkot of Punjab were selected for the survey and it was completed in six months between August 2105 and April 2016. The study revealed that every 6th Punjabi suffered the mental illness and every 8th person is going through the illness.

The total lifetime prevalence of mental illness was of 18%- in national level, it is 13.6%-and the present prevalence was 13%- at a national level, it is 10.5%.

Dr. BS Chavan, head of the psychiatry department said that out 21.9 lakh people are suffering mental illness and only 20% of them are getting treated i.e 4.8 lakh and the rest 80% are not getting any treatment.

The survey mentions that treatment gap was 80% for common mental disorders, 57% for severe mental disorders, 81% for alcohol use disorders and 82% for depressive disorders.

The data also mentioned that the treatment gap for the common mental disorder was 80%, 57% for severely mental problems, 81% for alcohol use disorders and 82% for depressive disorders. It also stated that only 0.5% population of had the suicidal risks.

Under the substance abuse

Prevention of alcohol tobacco, narcotics and other substance use disorder in Punjabis was 7.9%-i.e at a national level it is 4.65%, 5.5% in tobacco-i.e of 20.89% and other substances prevention caused 2.48%-i.e 0.57% at national level.

Dr Chavan explained that Punjabis over the age of 18 are dependent on alcohol, around 4 lakh people in the state taking drugs like opium and heroin and added that only 80,000had received treatment. He said that the risk of spreading HIV and hepatitis B is very high among the Punjabis.

Dr. Chavan said the reason behind the disorders was due to limited facilities in the state. He also said that there are only 67 psychiatrists in government and private medical colleges and added that that the state needs 270 psychiatrist to deal with these disorders.

The study also said that the men are victims of the disorder by two-time more when compared with women.

OneIndia News

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more