Brace for a hot summer: States urged to implement heat wave action plan
The National Disaster Management Authority has directed states in the country to brace up for a hot summer and has said that the Heat Wave Action Plans must be implemented. The NDMA has give out step-by-step instructions to the states to implement the plan.
Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Telangana, Odisha and Maharashtra have committed themselves to implement the plan. As per the directives, summer vacations must be imposed early and labour employed in MGNREGA schemes should not be given work at certain times of the day in case of a heatwave like situation.
The IMD has said that heat wave conditions are there in West Rajasthan and Gujarat apart from isolated places over West Madhya Pradesh. While the IMD already forecasts heat waves on its website, it urges that a proper plan in place would mean that the states would get a warning on the temperatures raising to heat wave limits.
Tips to deal with a heat wave:
- Keep windows closed and pull down the shades.
- Do not go out between 11 am and 3 pm
- Use reflective material outside the windows to keep the room cool.
- Splash yourself with cool water and have cool showers.
- Drink cold drinks regularly such as water and diluted fruit juice. Avoid alcohol, caffeine or drinks that are high in sugar.
- Keep a tab on weather alerts.