Bihar: Minister makes 'U-turn', claims no casualties in Motihari bus accident
Bihar Disaster Management Minister Dinesh Chandra Yadav on Friday confirmed there were no casualties in yesterday's Motihari bus accident. He had earlier confirmed on camera about 27 deaths.
Speaking on Motihari bus accident, Bihar Disaster Management Minister Dinesh Chandra Yadav said, 'The information of deaths was wrong. Yes, I said 27 people have died, it was based on info from local sources, but I also said that only final report will be considered.'
''There was booking for 13 people. 8 were taken to hospital by authorities, there was no sign of remaining 5, no remains were found. They might have left the spot on their own.'' Yadav further said.
It was earlier reported that at least 27 passengers were feared dead after a bus travelling from Muzaffarpur to New Delhi turned turtle and caught fire on NH-28 near Belwa village in Bihar's Motihari on Thursday. The bus fell into a ditch and caught fire after the driver lost control over the vehicle in East Champaran district, the police said.
The incident took place on NH-28 near Belwa village under Kotwa police station area, about 30 kilometres from Motihari, the district headquarters.
However, the district administration of Motihari said today that not a single body was found in a bus that fell into a ditch and caught fire in the Bihar district.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had mourned the tragedy and expressed condolences by observing a one-minute silence. He said, "I am pained by the irony..... Here we have gathered to launch schemes related to transport which includes road safety and we receive the news of the tragic mishap. It is not known how many people have died."