For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts
All you need to know about 2,300-km undersea cable project
New Delhi, Aug 10: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 2300-km undersea Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) project connecting Chennai and Port Blair on Monday (August 10, 2020).
Pranab Mukherjee tests Covid-19 +ve | Former President tests positive | Oneindia News
Submarine optical fibre cable:
- The submarine Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) will also connect Port Blair to Swaraj Dweep (Havelock), Little Andaman, Car Nicobar, Kamorta, Great Nicobar, Long Island, and Rangat.
- Will enable delivery of faster and more reliable mobile and landline telecom services to Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- A 400 GBPS bandwidth would now be available initially
- Will also facilitate delivery of e-Governance services such as telemedicine and tele-education
E-learning and knowledge sharing
- About 2300 Kms of Submarine OFC cable has been laid at a cost of about Rs 1224 Crore, and the project has been completed in time.
- The project is funded by the Government of India through the Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) under the Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of Communications.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) executed this project while Telecommunications Consultants India Limited (TCIL) is the Technical Consultants.