Republic Day: Interesting facts you need to know about it
The Republic Day celebrations start at the Amar Jawan Jyoti where Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lead the nation in paying homage to the martyrs by laying a wreath at the memorial
Here are the some interesting facts you need to know about the Republic Day celebration in the country
- This day in 1950, Indian Constitution was formally adopted.
- Republic Day celebrations last for three days. Beating retreat, the ceremony held on the evening of 29th January marks the end of three-day long celebrations.
- France has been the most special Republic Day guest for India. Visiting president Francois Hollande is the fifth French leader who has joined R-Day celebrations as chief guest.
- For the first time, an all women's CRPF daredevil team will perform at 67th Republic Day on January 26, 2016.
- For the first time a 76-member French Army contingent led by a French military band consisting of 48 musicians took part in parade on Rajpath on January 26, 201
- Army dog squad from remount veterinary corps to participate in the parade at Rajpath after a gap of 26 years.
- Then Indonesian President Sukarno was the first guest of honour in India for the Republic Day's celebration in 1950.
- Indian constitution is the largest caligraphed constitution in the world and Dr Ambedkar took 2 years, 11 months and 18 days to prepare it.
- Indian constitution is written in both English and Hindi.