Bihar poll dates announced: Some facts you need to know about Bihar Legislative Assembly
Patna, Sept 9: The Election Commission on Wednesday announced the much awaited dates for Bihar Assembly elections 2015. The election watch dog announced the poll dates for the 5-phase assembly polls that will last for nearly two months starting October 12.
Around 6.68 crore voters will decide the fate of candidates in 243 constituencies spread across the state of Bihar.
Here are some facts you need to know about Bihar Legislative Assembly
- Bihar Legislative Assembly commonly known as Bihar Vidhan Sabha is the lower house of the bicameral legislature of Bihar.
- Bihar Legislative Assembly was established in 1937.
- In 1952, at the time of first election, the house had 331 members. One of them was nominated member.
- Dr Sri Krishna Singh was the first Chief Minister of Bihar.
- The number of constituencies in Bihar was reduced to 318 at the time second general elections held in 1957.
- The number of members in the assembly was again raised from 318 to 325 in 1977.
- However, it again came down to 243 in 2000, when the Bihar Reorganisation Act, 2000 was enacted by the Parliament of India to create a new state of Jharkhand.