4 years Modi sarkar: Housing for all by 2022 and the big push on urban affairs
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has had its task cut out. In the past four years of the Modi government this ministry has come up with the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, Real Estate Act, new Metro rail policy to name a few.
The ministry through the Real Estate Act has protected the interests of both the buyers and developers.
Here are the initiatives of this ministry:
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban)- Housing for All: To address the gap in housing demand and supply in urban areas in respect of Economically Weaker Sections, Low and Middle Income Groups and meet the target of "Housing for All" by 2022, with an aim to provide a decent pucca home.
- Cabinet approved creation of National Urban Housing Fund (NUHF) for Rs. 60,000 crores
- As on 31st March 2018, Ministry has sanctioned 43.87 lakh houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban).
- More than 21.28 lakh houses have been grounded and about 5.2 lakh houses have been completed. (Including RAY component)
Real Estate Act:
Real Estate (Regulation & Development) Act,2016 brought into force from May 1, 2017 to protect interests of buyers and developers and bring more transparency and accountability in the sector including both residential and commercial real estate.
New Metro Policy:
Government has approved the new Metro Rail Policy on 18.08.2017. It lays emphasis on 'last mile connectivity'. Presently, Metro work is in progress in 11 cities of the country.
An effective multi-modal logistics and transport sector will make our economy more competitive. A specific program for development of multi-modal logistics parks,
together with multi-modal transport facilities, will be drawn up and implemented.
The Ministry of Commerce has been entrusted with the responsibility for finalizing the logistics policy and ensuring inter-ministerial coordination for Multi-Modal Logistic Parks
(MMLPs). Infrastructure Status has been bestowed on Logistics on 21.11.2017.
The Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban transformation (AMRUT)
To ensure water taps to over 2 cr urban households in mission cities by 2019 besides expanding sewerage and drainage networks, Non-motorised transport and providing open and green spaces.
Service Level Improvement Plans (SLIPS) for all 500 mission cities approved three years ahead of the mission period with a project investment of Rs.77,640 cr. Status of the implementation of AMRUT Projects. About 22 cr urban population will benefit from this mission.
Smart city mission:
To ensure core infrastructure to improve quality of living through area based development in and around 100 cities based on inclusive and sustainable urban planning and development.
- 99 cities identified through competition.
- Total cost of Projects (Rs Crores):201979.
- Total Population impacted: 9.9 Cr.
Swachch Bharat Ubran: To make 4,041 cities and towns Open Defecation Free and clean by October 2019.
Milestones Achieved (as of data received from the concerned division)
- 46,36,158 individual household toilets constructed so far.
- 3,06,064 Community and Public Toilet seats constructed so far.
- 2477 cities have been so far declared Open Defecation Free.
- 61,846 urban wards covered under 100% Door to Door collection of solid waste.
- Waste to Compost total achievement 13.11 lakh TPA from 145 Plants.
- Around 88 Mega Watts of energy is being produced from waste.