• search
For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

Hospital lets animals eat dead HIV patient's leg

By Samyuktha

Latur (Maharastra), Nov 6: In a case of medical negligence at its worst, the dead body of a 13-year-old girl, who died of HIV infection, was left to be eaten by animals at the local Primary Health Centre (PHC).

The orphan girl, who suffered from the disease for the last four years, died during the week. Her body was kept for post-mortem in a health centre at Hasegaon village.

On Thursday, Nov 6, the girl's body was found with her leg eaten off by animals.

District Health Officer (DHO) R N Waghmare was prompted to take action after Ravi Bapatle, Director of Sewalaya Sewabhavi Sanstha which takes care of HIV patients, refused to take custody of the body unless action was taken.

The DHO has suspended concerned medical officer B S Banate.

Baptle told a news agency that the girl died on Wednesday, Nov 3 evening, after which her body was kept in a room at the PHC, covered with a shawl overnight. Next day, the girl's left leg was found missing.

Speculating that the leg of the girl seemed to have been eaten up by an animal, probably a dog, the DHO has vowed to initiate action against other guilty employees.

Quoting sources, media reports suggest that the rooms at PHC are in a bad condition. The room where the girl was left overnight reportedly did not have a latch and was closed using a string.

OneIndia News

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X