German goalkeeper Manuel Neuer won the Golden Glove award.
Messi, who scored four goals and assisted one in the tournament, couldn't find the net in the final but yet was adjudged the best player of the tournament by the voters.
Other players who were in the race for the award were Arjen Robben (Netherlands), Neymar (Brazil), James Rodriguez (Colombia) and Thomas Mueller (Germany).
James Rodriguez scored 6 goals in 5 matches that he played in WC 2014
Muller, who won the Golden Boot in the last edition in South Africa, received the Silver Boot this time as he finished one short of Rodriguez's tally of six goals. Muller scored a hat-trick in Germany's opening game against Portugal.
German goalkeeper Neuer, who conceded just four goals in the tournament, won the Golden Glove award. The 27-year-old beat Argentina's Sergio Romero and Costa Rica's Keylor Navas.
France's Paul Pogba received the Young Player Award.
Here is the complete list of awards (Photos of winners here)
- Golden Ball: Lionel Messi (Argentina)
- Silver Ball: Thomas Muller (Germany)
- Bronze Ball: Arjen Robben (Netherlands)
- Golden Boot: James Rodriguez (Colombia)
- Silver Boot: Thomas Muller (Germany)
- Bronze Boot: Neymar (Brazil)
- Golden Glove: Manuel Neuer (Germany)
- Young Player Award: Paul Pogba (France)
- FIFA Fair Play Trophy: Colombia
[With IANS inputs]