The 22-year-old qualified for the final round in the Individual vault final of artistic gymnastics after finishing eighth on the standings on Sunday. [Twitteratti hail Dipa Karmakar]
In the third sub-division, Dipa had an average score of 51.665. She perform her much-vaunted 'Produnova' vault cleanly to score 14.850 on the vault, 11.666 on the uneven bars 12.866 in balance beam and 12.033 in floor exercises.
By time she finished, Deepa was sixth in vaults and 27th overall and had to nervously wait for five hours for the other two sub-divisions to finish.
The top eight qualify for the final. Dipa's chances seemed bleak after she fell to seventh when Simone Biles of the US scored 16.050 in the vault event.
She dropped further to eighth when Canada's Shallon Olsen's effort of 14.950 on the vault rejiged the overall standings further.
But thankfully no other opponent managed to surpass Dipa as she scriped history.
Dipa will be competing in the finals on August 14 as all eyes will be on the 22-year-old girl from Tripura.
Here are some facts about India's golden girl Dipa Karmakar:
- Dipa Karmakar was born in Agartala, Tripura on August 9, 1993
- Dipa's father Dulal Karmakar is a former gymnastics coach at Sports Authority of India (SAI) and she started training under him at the age of 6
- Dipa is currently trained by coach Bisbeshwar Nandi.
- Dipa is the first Indian woman gymnast to take part in the Olympic games in 52 years and last night she became the first Indian to qualify for the final round.
- She had won bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games 2014 and Asian Championships 2015.
- Dipa specialises is 'Produnova' vault which was named after famous Russian gymnast Yelena Produnova. It involves front handspring and two front sommersaults.
- Only 5 gymnasts around the world have mastered the 'Produnova' vault and India's Dipa is one of them.
- Dipa is taking part in 6 events at the Rio Olympics 2016. Artistic Gymnastics, Women, Artistic Gymnastics Women's Floor Exercise, Artistic Gymnastics Women's Vault, Artistic Gymnastics Women's Uneven Bars, Artistic Gymnastics Women's Balance Beam and Artistic Gymnastics Women's Individual All-Around.