The Golden Ball is awarded to the tournament's most outstanding player. On Friday, FIFA's Technical Study Group announced the shortlist.
Argentina and Germany will contest the World Cup 2014 final on Sunday (July 13) and the winner of the Golden Ball will be known after the match at the Maracana. Also, Silver Ball and Bronze Ball winners will be revealed on Sunday.
The 10 nominees for Golden Ball (In alphabetical order)
- Angel Di Maria (Argentina)
- Mats Hummels (Germany)
- Toni Kroos (Germany)
- Philipp Lahm (Germany)
- Javier Mascherano (Argentina)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina)
- Thomas Muller (Germany)
- Neymar (Brazil)
- Arjen Robben (Netherlands)
- James Rodriguez (Colombia)
The FIFA Technical Study Group
Headed by Jean-Paul Brigger, the FIFA Technical Study Group assesses the football played in each of the 64 matches at the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil. Its members are Gerard Houllier (France), Raul Arias (Mexico), Gabriel Calderon (Argentina), Ricki Herbert (New Zealand), Abdel M. Hussein (Sudan), Ka Ming Kwok (Hong Kong), Ioan Lupescu (Romania), Gines Melendez Sotos (Spain), Tsuneyasu Miyamoto (Japan), Sunday Oliseh (Nigeria), Mixu Paatelainen (Finland), Jaime Rodriguez (El Salvador) and Theodore Whitmore (Jamaica).
Previous adidas Golden Ball winners
- 1982 Spain: Paolo Rossi (Italy)
- 1986 Mexico: Diego Maradona (Argentina)
- 1990 Italy: Salvatore Schilacci (Italy)
- 1994 USA: Romario (Brazil)
- 1998 France: Ronaldo (Brazil)
- 2002 South Korea/Japan: Oliver Kahn (Germany)
- 2006 Germany: Zinedine Zidane (France)
- 2010 South Africa: Diego Forlan (Uruguay)