India had won silver medal (their best finish) in the last edition of CWG in New Delhi. This time around, they are in Scotland after a poor World Cup in The Hague recently. India ended a dismal 9th at the World Cup last month. However, CWG is an opportunity for them to prove their worth.
"The preparatory camp was productive as it helped us to work on the areas that the team was lacking in. The team is all pepped up and confident of performing well in the Games ahead. We are sure that we will end the tournament on a high note and take the form onto the Asian Games," chief coach Terry Walsh had said before their departure from India for Scotland.
India are in Pool A with champions Australia, Wales, South Africa and hosts Scotland.
- Goalkeeper: PR Sreejesh (Vice-captain)
- Defenders: Gurbaj Singh, Birendra Lakra, Rupinder Pal Singh, Kothajit Singh, VR Raghunath
- Midfielders: Dharamvir Singh, Sardar Singh (captain), Danish Mujtaba, Chinglensana Singh Kangujam and Manpreet Singh
- Forwards: Ramandeep Singh, Akashdeep Singh, S.V. Sunil, Gurwinder Singh Chandi and Nikkin Thimmaiah
The Groups (Top two from each group qualify for semi-finals)
- Australia, India, Wales, South Africa and Scotland
- Canada, England, Malaysia, New Zealand and Trinidad & Tobago
India's Fixtures (All Times IST)
- Venue: Glasgow National Hockey Centre
- July 25 (Friday): Vs Wales (1.30 PM)
- July 26 (Saturday): Vs Scotland (8.30 PM)
- July 29 (Tuesday): Vs Australia (6.30 PM)
- July 31 (Thursday): Vs South Africa (8.30 PM)
- Note: Semi-finals: August 1 and 2. Final: August 3
Previous performances of India at CWG
- 1998 - 4th place
- 2002 - Did not participate
- 2006 - 6th place
- 2010 - Silver medal