It is the second time in the history of the cricket World Cup that the hosts (more than one) made the semifinals. The only time it had happened previously was in 1987 when both host nations India and Pakistan had made the semifinals. However, none of them could make the finals.
Here is a list of performance of host nation(s) in World Cup:
- 1975: Hosts England made the semifinals but lost.
- 1979: Hosts England made the semifinals and won.
- 1983: Hosts England made the semifinals but lost.
- 1987: Hosts India and Pakistan made the semifinals but lost.
- 1992: New Zealand made the semifinals but Australia failed. New Zealand lost in the semifinal.
- 1996: India and Sri Lanka made the semifinals but Pakistan failed to make. India lost the semifinal to Sri Lanka.
- 1999: None of the playing hosts, England and Scotland, made the semifinals. Ireland, the Netherlands and Wales were the non-playing hosts.
- 2003: Hosts South Africa and Zimbabwe failed to make the semifinals. Third hosts Kenya made the semifinal but lost.
- 2007: Hosts West Indies failed to make the semifinals.
- 2011: Hosts India and Sri Lanka made the semifinals and won. Third hosts Bangladesh failed to make the semifinals.
- 2015: Hosts Australia and New Zealand made the semifinals.