Melbourne, March 29: Australia were looking favourites to achieve the target of 184 against New Zealand in the final of the 2015 World Cup at the Melbourne Cricket Ground here on Sunday. If they win, it will be their fifth World Cup title.
Here is the list of Australia's World Cup title wins:
- Beat England by 7 runs in the final of the 1987 World Cup in Kolkata, India [Aus 253/5, Eng 246/8] Captain: Allan Border
- Beat Pakistan by 8 wickets in the final of the 1999 World Cup in London, UK [Pak 132, Aus 133/2] Captain: Steve Waugh
- Beat India by 125 runs in the final of the 2003 World Cup in Johannesburg, South Africa [Aus 359/2, India 234] Captain: Ricky Ponting
- Beat Sri Lanka by 53 runs (D/L) in the final of the 2007 World Cup in Barbados, West Indies [Aus 281/4, SL 215/8]
- Beat New Zealand by 7 wickets in the final of the 2015 World Cup in Melbourne, Australia [NZ 183, Aus 186/3]
Besides the four victories in the World Cup final, Australia also lost two finals to the West Indies and Sri Lanka in 1975 and 1996, respectively. Ian Chappell and Mark Taylor were the captains of Australia in those two title clashes.