St John's (Antigua), Dec 24: Keen to complete the controversially-abandoned 2014 tour of India, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has said it would host the Indians in 2016 if its players' association agrees to a commitment on the series.
The West Indies cricket team had abandoned its tour of India in October last year owing to a pay dispute with the Board, leaving the BCCI "shocked and disappointed".
The Caribbeans' move had forced the Indian Board to invite Sri Lanka for a hurriedly-arranged ODI series to fill the void. The WICB had tendered an apology to the BCCI for its players' conduct and now it is keen to ensure that the unfulfilled commitment to India is honoured.
WICB President Dave Cameron had discussions with BCCI chief Shashank Manohar and confirmed that the West Indies will host India in the Caribbean in 2016.
"This agreement is subject to the WICB and the Players Association giving a joint commitment to complete, at a later date, the tour which prematurely ended in October 2014," the WICB said.
Cameron, however, was hopeful that the series would go ahead without a hitch this time. "Cricket remained the centrepiece of our discussion and we are happy to be at this juncture," said Cameron.