On Sunday (October 9), Kohli registered his highest Test score of 211 in the 3rd and final Test of the series at the Holkar Stadium.
This was the skipper's 2nd double century of his career. His previous double ton was against the West Indies in July this year.
The 27-year-old Kohli, with his 2nd double ton in Tests, has joined a select band of captains to have hit 2 or more double centuries in the same calendar year.
Australian legend Bradman was the first ever captain to achieve the feat. Michael Clarke (4 times), Greg Chappell, Brian Lara and Brendon McCullum are the other 4 in the list.
For Kohli, it was his 13th Test century in 48th match. He made his debut in 2011 and captained India for the first time in 2014.
Here is the list of captains scoring 2 or more double tons in a calendar year
1. Michael Clarke (Australia) - 4 - 2012 - 329 not out Vs India, 210 Vs India, 259 not out Vs South Africa, 230 Vs South Africa
2. Don Bradman (Australia) - 1937 - 270 Vs England, 212 Vs England
3. Greg Chappell (Australia) - 1981 - 204 Vs India, 201 Vs Pakistan
4. Brian Lara (West Indies) - 2003 - 209 Vs Sri Lanka, 202 Vs South Africa
5. Brendon McCullum (New Zealand) - 2014 - 224 Vs India, 302 Vs India
6. Virat Kohli (India) - 2016 - 200 Vs West Indies, 211 Vs New Zealand
Statistics provided by HR Gopala Krishna