Chennai, Aug 10: South Africa A were badly hit by "food poisoning" that they had to borrow an Indian player to field for them during a Tri-series match against the hosts on Sunday (August 9) at the MA Chidambaram Stadium.
10 South African cricketers were hospitalised in Chennai yesterday (August 9) due to "food poisoning", Cricket South Africa (CSA) said in a press release. On Sunday, the visitors were playing against India A.
"With half of the squad going down ill overnight, South Africa was forced to play (against India A today) an ill- balanced starting XI that had only four frontline bowlers with the likes of Dean Elgar and Khaya Zondo to make up the rest of the overs," CSA said.
"Reeza Hendricks, Zondo and Mthokozisi Shezi were all on the sick list but had to play because there was nobody else available but all three had to be hospitalised during the course of the match. The same applied to (Quinton) De Kock who was hospitalised after the match," the release said.
Opener Quinton De Kock scored a century (108) in the match but he had to leave the field towards the closing stages of India A innings and Mandeep was called in as a substitute.
Mandeep put on South African jersey and fielded from 31.2 overs of India A innings as they successfully chased down 245 to win the match by 8 wickets in 37.4 overs. Opener Mayank Agarwal hit a century (130) while captain Unmukt Chand struck 90.
Even the video analyst of the team, Hendrikus Coertzen too fielded for South Africa due to shortage of players.
As a result of the ill players in hosptial, today's (Monday) match schedule was changed and India A took South Africa A's place to face Australia A after coach Rahul Dravid agreed to the visitors' team management's request.