Captain Kohli announced that the team was in Sri Lanka to "play good cricket" and he wanted to focus on the present rather than looking back at history. ('Will go hard at Sangakkara')
Here is your complete guide to India-Sri Lanka Test series
How many Tests will the teams play?
- 3 Tests starting from August 12 (Wednesday) in Galle. There are only Test matches, no limited overs series between the sides during this tour
Where to watch on TV in India?
- Sony SIX (English commentary) and Sony KIX (Hindi)
Where do the teams stand in ICC Test Rankings?
- India - No. 5
- Sri Lanka - No. 7
India can rise to No. 2 by winning the series 3-0. But for that to happen, the 5th and final Ashes Test between England and Australia should end in a draw. If England win the Test and series 4-1, then India's 3-0 result will push them to No. 3. If Sri Lanka win 3-0, then India will slip to 7th and the hosts go up to 5
Which are the venues?
- 1st Test - Galle International Stadium, Galle
- 2nd Test - P Sara Oval, Colombo
- 3rd Test - Sinhalese Sports Club, Colombo
What time do the matches start?
- On all days, play starts 10 AM IST (10 AM Local, 04.30 GMT)
When was the last time India won a Test series in Sri Lanka?
- It was in 1993 (1-0 victory in 3-match series) under the captaincy of Mohammad Azharuddin
What happened during India's previous visit to Sri Lanka?
- The series in 2010 was drawn 1-1 (3-match series). MS Dhoni was India's skipper
How many Indian players part of the current squad have previously played Tests in Sri Lanka?
- 4 - Harbhajan Singh, Ishant Sharma, Murali Vijay and Amit Mishra
Who is the most experienced player in India squad?
- Harbhajan, with 102 Test caps. He has played 9 Tests in Sri Lanka, taking 25 wickets
Any injury worries for Team India?
- Yes. Opener Murali Vijay will miss the 1st Test due to a hamstring strain
Why is this series significant for the hosts?
- One of Sri Lanka's legends, Kumar Sangakkara will retire from international cricket after the 2nd Test. Captain Angelo Mathews has already declared that they want to win the series for the retiring great
- August 12 to 16 (Wednesday to Sunday) - 1st Test
- August 20 to 24 (Thursday to Monday) - 2nd Test
- August 28 to September 1 (Friday to Tuesday) - 3rd and final Test
- India: Virat Kohli (captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Murali Vijay, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Wriddhiman Saha (wicketkeeper), Harbhajan Singh, R Ashwin, Umesh Yadav, Ishant Sharma, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Amit Mishra, Varun Aaron.
- Sri Lanka: Angelo Mathews (captain), Lahiru Thirimanne (vice-captain), Kaushal Silva, Dimuth Karunaratne, Kumar Sangakkara, Dinesh Chandimal, Upul Tharanga, Jehan Mubarak, Kusal Perera, Rangana Herath, Dilruwan Perera, Tharindu Kaushal, Nuwan Pradeep, Dhammika Fernando, Vishwa Fernando, Dushmantha Chameera (subject to fitness).