Social media was inundated with for and against arguements as Dhoni left fans, players and administrators stunned on December 30 (Tuesday) by bidding adieu to Tests in the middle of Australia series.
While one needs to respect Dhoni's personal choice, his leaving of five-day game has given birth to plenty of questions and rightly so. Debates have begun as to what made the 33-year-old Indian captain call it quits.
Dhoni conveyed his decision to BCCI and in turn the Indian cricket board broke the news through a press release.
The statement said Dhoni had chosen to abdicate from Tests to concentrate on ODIs and T20s. Dhoni preferred to remain incommunicado on his decision and the suspense continued. (Who said what on Dhoni?)
'Captain Cool' quit Tests in Melbourne rather than at home. It was the third Test of the four-match series and he was there in the middle when India secured a draw but lost the rubber 2-0.
What prompted Dhoni to arrive at this decision is not yet known. Fans have every right to know from their favourite cricketer about this. (Discussions between Dhoni and BCCI)
Dhoni has walked away from red ball cricket, 10 short of a well deserved century. Country's most successful captain played 90 matches, most by an Indian wicketkeeper.
Did he retire hurt or was there something else? Dhoni himself needs to solve the mystery.
Here are 10 questions which we would like to get answers from Dhoni
- Why did you think it was right to quit in the middle of the series?
- India does not play a Test for at least next six months. Then why the hurry now?
- Was there pressure on you to give up Test captaincy to Virat Kohli?
- Were you not willing to play under Kohli's leadership?
- Having always led from the front and being a team man, how right is it to desert the side when there is one more Test in the series. Did you not think of winning in Sydney and salvage pride?
- Were the controversies surrounding the Chennai Super Kings franchise in the Indian Premier League (IPL) and conflict of interest haunting you?
- What are your views on Kohli, the captain. Is he the right man to replace you?
- Was there a rift in the Indian team when you spoke of unrest during the Brisbane Test?
- Was Team Director Ravi Shastri leaning more towards Kohli over you for Test leadership?
- Why was there no announcement directly from you. What is the response to your millions of adoring fans. Will you answer now or come out with a book?