New Delhi, May 23: Team India's test skipper Virat Kohli and other regular players were not picked for India's limited overs tour to Zimbabwe next month (June 11-22). Limited overs-skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni was retained as captain of the squad which has many new faces.
Legspinner Yuzvendra Chahal along with uncapped Mandeep Singh, Karun Nair, Jayant Yadav and Faiz Fazal were picked in the India squad.
The selectors also announed a 17-member Test squad for the tour of West Indies in July and August. India will play 4 Tests. The schedule is yet to be finalised.
Uncapped Mumbai right-arm paceman Shardul Thakur was called up to the Test team while Varun Aaron and Gurkeerat Singh Mann were dropped.
Here are some interesting things about young pacer Shardul Thakur and 30-year-old Vidarbha batsman Faiz Fazal, who were the surprise faces in the India squad for upcoming tours.
Shardul Thakur (Ranji Team: Mumbai):
- The 24-year-old right-arm medium pacer had played the last Test series against South Africa at home.
- Thakur was rewarded for his consistent performance in the domestic circuit where he took 41 wickets in 11 matches for Mumbai at an average of 24.51. (Ind-Zim tour schedule)
- His best figures in an innings were six for 107.
- Shardul has 133 first-class wickets in 37 games.
- Shardul has been a part of IPL franchise Kings XI Punjab in Dubai.
Faiz Fazal (Ranji Team: Vidarbha):
- 30-year-old Faiz Fazal is a left-handed batter is the captain of Vidarbha cricket team.
- He has played 79 first-class matches and scored 5341 runs in the domestic circuit.
- Fazal slammed 151 on his first-class and Ranji Trophy debut in 2003.
- He came into prominence for his match-winning 127 against Ranji Trophy champions Mumbai in the Irani Cup match this season, where Rest of India chased down a mammoth 480 in the fourth innings.
- He had scored 100 off 112 balls against India B in the Deodhar Trophy final.
- The former Rajasthan Royals player was not picked by any franchise for this IPL season.
- Fazal scored 559 runs in the Ranji Trophy this season.
- He has played 12 matches for Rajasthan Royals in IPL 2010 and 2011, where he scored 183 runs.
- 45 against Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) is his highest individual performance in the cash-rich league.