Nagpur, March 7: The seventh edition of T20 World Cup will take off on Tuesday (March 8) when Zimbabwe will take on Hong Kong in the first round of the tournament.
Six minnows besides two Test-playing sides, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, will play this round before joining eight full-time members in the second round.
The second round begins on March 15 when India will take on New Zealand in a Group 2 match in Nagpur.
India had won the inaugural edition of the T20 World Cup played in South Africa in 2007, defeating arch-rivals Pakistan by five runs in the final.
Past editions of T20 World Cup
Here is a brief look at the previous editions of the tournament:
- 2007: India beat Pakistan by 5 runs in the
final [India 157/5 vs Pak 152]
Hosts: South Africa
- 2009: Pakistan beat Sri Lanka by 8
wickets [SL 138/6 vs Pak 139/2]
- 2010: England beat Australia by 7 wickets [Aus
147/6 vs Eng 148/3]
Hosts: West Indies
- 2012: West Indies beat Sri Lanka by 36 runs
[WI 137/6 vs SL 101]
Hosts: Sri Lanka
- 2014: Sri Lanka beat India by 6 wickets [India
130/4 vs SL 134/4]