Shikhar Dhawan reported for suspect bowling action

Dubai, Dec 9: India's part-time off-spinner Shikhar Dhawan was today reported for a suspect bowling action by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

The 30-year-old Dhawan, who is a specialist left-handed opening batsman, bowled just 3 overs in the 2nd innings during the recently concluded 4th Test against South Africa in Delhi. He gave away 9 runs and had bowled 1 maiden over on the 5th and final day of the Test. India won the match by 337 runs and with that the 4-match series (Freedom Trophy) 3-0.

Shikhar Dhawan bats during the Test series against South Africa

"India's Shikhar Dhawan has been reported with a suspect bowling action during the fourth Test against South Africa, which the host won in New Delhi on Monday (December 7)," ICC said in a media release on Wednesday (December 9).

"The match officials' report, which was handed over to the India team management, cited concerns about the legality of the 30-year-old's off-spin deliveries," it added.

Australia's Bruce Oxenford and Kumar Dharmasena of Sri Lanka were the on-field umpires during the Delhi Test at Feroz Shah Kotla while New Zealander Jeff Crowe was the match referee. India's CK Nandan was the third umpire and Anil Chaudhary (India), the fourth umpire.

Dhawan's bowling action will now be scrutinised further under the ICC process relating to suspected illegal bowling actions reported in Tests, ODIs and T20Is.

He is required to undergo testing within 14 days, and, during this period, Dhawan is permitted to continue bowling in international cricket until the results of the testing are known, ICC said.

In his 19-Test career so far, Dhawan has bowled only 54 balls. He has not taken a wicket. He has never bowled in ODIs and T20Is. Overall he has 16 wickets in his career (First-class, List A and T20s included).

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...