The left and right opening combination made merry on a rain marred day at the Khan Shaheb Osman Ali Stadium. India, opting to bat, were 239/0 in 56 overs at stumps.
Dhawan struck his 3rd Test ton and remained unbeaten on 150 (158 balls, 21x4). Vijay was 11 away from his century, ending the day at 89 not out (178 balls, 8x4, 1x6).
Here are the records/statistics from day 1 of the Test
- 239-run partnership (unfinished) - This is the highest ever opening wicket association for India against Bangladesh. Overall, this is 2nd highest for any wicket between the two sides (259 highest ever - Rahul Dravid and Gautam Gambhir in 2004)
- 4 - Today's 239-run stand is the 4th highest ever for India for the 1st wicket. (413 - highest ever - Vinoo Mankad-Pankaj Roy in 1956)
- 4 - This is only the 4th ever double century stand in India-Bangladesh Tests. India have 3
- 150 not out by Dhawan - This is the 5th highest individual score in India-Bangladesh Tests. (Highest - 248 not out by Sachin Tendulkar in 2004)
- 2 - This was 2nd double century partnership between Dhawan and Vijay in Tests. Gambhir and Virender Sehwag too have 2
- 3 - This was Dhawan's 3rd Test ton and 2nd 150 or more score. His highest is 187 against Australia in 2013
- 1,000 and counting - Dhawan and Vijay today completed 1,000 plus runs as a Test opening pair. They are the 6th duo to do so for India