Melbourne, Dec 1: Cricket Australia (CA) has said Phil Hughes' final batting innings will be shown as "63 not out" after the batsman died following an on-field injury during a Sheffield Shield match in Sydney.
Hughes, who was struck in the neck by a Sean Abbott bouncer, passed away two days after the incident, on November 27.
The left-hander had retired hurt after the injury. Now, CA has amended the scorecard as showing "63 not out" for Hughes. Earlier it was "63 retired hurt". (Cricketers who died due to on-field injuries)
The match was abandoned after the incident on the first day (November 25). Hughes was playing for South Australia against his former team New South Wales (NSW).
"It might seem like a little thing, but it's an important distinction," said CA chief James Sutherland. "Phillip will forever remain 63 not out."
This is how the scorecard stands now
Sheffield Shield - First-class match (November 25 to 28) at Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG)
South Australia (1st innings)
- Phil Hughes not out 63 (161 balls, 9x4)
- Mark Cosgrove c Steve O'Keefe b Shane Watson 32 (68b, 6x4)
- Callum Ferguson c Brad Haddin b Doug Bollinger 28 (41b, 4x4)
- Tom Cooper not out 5 (22b)
- Extras (LB 6, WD 1, NB 1)
- Total 136/2 in 48.3 overs
- Did Not Bat: Travis Head, Tim Ludeman (wicketkeeper), Johan Botha (captain), Joe Mennie, Adam Zampa, Chadd Sayers, Daniel Worrall.
- Fall of wickets: 1/61 (Cosgrove), 2/122 (Ferguson)
- Mitchell Starc 10-3-24-0
- Doug Bollinger 10-1-32-1
- Nathan Lyon 14-5-29-0
- Sean Abbott 9.3-3-29-0
- Shane Watson 4-1-7-1
- Steve O'Keefe 1-0-9-0
New South Wales Team: David Warner, Shane Watson, Nic Maddinson, Peter Nevill, Brad Haddin (captain and wicketkeeper), Steve O'Keefe, Sean Abbott, Nathan Lyon, Doug Bollinger, Scott Henry, Mitchell Starc.
Umpires: Ashley Barrow, Michael Graham-Smith
Match Referee: David Talalla
Match abandoned after 48.3 overs on the first day following Hughes' injury