Bridgetown (Barbados), June 27: The International Cricket Council's (ICC) Board has approved changes to the ODI playing conditions and will come into effect from July 5, 2015.
These amendments were given the green signal at the ICC Annual Conference which concluded in Barbados yesterday (June 26). The changes to the playing conditions were recommended last month by the ICC Cricket Committee, headed by former India captain Anil Kumble, after the 4-fielder rule heavily favoured the batsmen with big scores seen during the World Cup 2015.
Now, 5 fielders will be allowed outside the 30-yard circle during overs 41 to 50 in ODIs to bring a balance between bat and ball. Also, batting powerplay has been scrapped.
"The ICC Board noted amendments to the ICC playing conditions, which were approved by the ICC Chief Executives' Committee on Monday and Tuesday. These playing conditions will come into effect for series starting on or after 5 July 2015," ICC said in a media release.
ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said, "We have thoroughly reviewed the ODI format after a very successful ICC Cricket World Cup. There was no need to make any radical changes to what has proved to be a vibrant and popular format but we wanted to take this opportunity to make the format simpler and easier to follow for the public as well as maintaining a balance between bat and ball."
"In making these adjustments, we have tried to ensure that ODI cricket retains the attacking, aggressive and thrilling brand, which has recently become the hallmark of 50-over cricket and sets us on a positive path to the next World Cup in England in 2019," he added.
The key changes to ODI playing conditions
# No compulsory catchers in overs 1-10 (ODIs)
# No batting Powerplay between overs 15-40 (ODIs)
# 5 fielders allowed outside the 30-yard circle in overs 41-50 (ODIs)
# All "no balls", not just "foot faults", to result in a free hit (ODIs & T20Is)