Leeds (UK), May 30: James Anderson created history at Headingley on Friday when he became the first English bowler to take 400 wickets in Tests. His record came in the fifth over of the second Test against New Zealand when he dismissed opener Martin Guptill for nought. Ian Botham with the 383 wickets was the highest before Anderson overtook him.
Anderson is the eighth fast bowler and the 12th overall to become a member of the elite club.
Here is a list of bowlers who have got 400 or more wickets in Tests:
- Muttiah Miralidharan (Sri Lanka) 800 wickets in 133 matches Best figures (BF) 9/51
- Shane Warne (Australia) 708 wickets in 145 matches BF 8/71
- Anil Kumble (India) 619 wickets in 132 matches BF 10/74
- Glenn McGrath (Australia) 563 wickets in 124 matches BF 8/24
- Courtney Walsh (West Indies) 519 wickets in 132 matches BF 7/37
- Kapil Dev (India) 434 wickets in 131 matches BF 9/83
- Sir Richard Hadlee (New Zealand) 431 wickets in 86 matches BF 9/52
- Shaun Pollock (South Africa) 421 wickets in 108 matches BF 7/87
- Wasim Akram (Pakistan) 414 matches in 104 matches BF 7/119
- Harbhajan Singh (India) 413 wickets in 101 matches BF 8/84
- Curtley Ambrose (West Indies) 405 wickets in 98 matches BF 8/45
- James Anderson (England) 401 wickets in 104* matches BF 7/43
* Last match still on