Bengaluru, May 14: The suspense over which 4 teams will feature in the Indian Premier League 2015 (IPL 8) playoffs continues with just 6 matches remaining in the league stage.
For the first time in the history of IPL, the franchises have been left to fight till the end to book a spot in the next phase with just 1 or 2 games left. (Latest - CSK qualify, 5 other fight it out)
Two-time champions Chennai Super Kings (CSK) are still on top of the table with 16 points. They have one match to play. Of all the other outfits, they are slightly in a better position to advance.
RCB, with 2 matches to play, are on 13 points and at 5th spot. And Mumbai Indians (12) are at 6th with 2 matches to play.
Tonight's MI-KKR clash is important for Mumbai as a loss would mean they are eliminated. If MI win, the suspense for playoffs will continue for another day or beyond as Sunrisers and RCB face off tomorrow.
As of today, only 2 out of the 8 cannot make the cut. All other 6 are battling hard for 4 places. Sunday (May 17) is the last day of league and some sides may miss out due to poor net run rate or less number of win (if teams are equal on points, the one with most number of wins go through, if still equal then net run rate comes into play).
KKR's bowling coach Wasim Akram called this year's IPL as the most interesting. "Good sides are participating. We are still not sure who will qualify for the last four. It has been the most interesting IPL as far as points table is concerned," he said.
Which 4 teams will overcome the pressure of last few games and make the cut? We will know the answer soon.
Team-wise games left and points (As on May 13)
- 1. CSK (1 to play, 16 points)
- 2. KKR (2 to play, 15 points)
- 3. SRH (2 to play, 14 points)
- 4. RR (1 to play, 14 points)
- 5. RCB (2 to play, 13 points)
- 6. MI (2 to play, 12 points)
- 7. DD (1 to play, 10 points) - Eliminated
- 8. KXIP (1 to play, 6 points) - Eliminated
Remaining league matches in IPL 2015 (All times IST)
- Match 51 - 14 May (Thursday) - MI Vs KKR (Mumbai) 8 PM
- Match 52 - 15 May (Friday) - SRH Vs RCB (Hyderabad) 8 PM
- Match 53 - 16 May (Saturday) - KXIP Vs CSK (Mohali) 4 PM
- Match 54 - 16 May - RR Vs KKR (Mumbai, Brabourne Stadium) 8 PM
- Match 55 - 17 May (Sunday) - RCB Vs DD (Bengaluru) 4 PM
- Match 56 - 17 May - SRH Vs MI (Hyderabad) 8 PM
- Playoffs from May 19