Bengaluru, May 11: After 47 matches in the Indian Premier League 2015 (IPL 8), the battle for playoffs is still going on and none of the teams have confirmed their spots in the last-four.
Last night, Chennai Super Kings (CSK) defeated Rajasthan Royals (RR) by 12 runs to return to the top of the points table. With 16 points in the bag, the MS Dhoni-led side is still not in the playoffs yet. (When Jadeja made Dhoni angry)
However, CSK should make the cut with these 8 wins. But they have to wait for some more time for confirmation.
The second-placed side in the table - the defending champions Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) are with 15 points followed by Rajasthan Royals (RR) with 14. KKR are too are almost assured of a place in the next round. Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) are at number 4 with 13 points from 11 games.
In past editions, 16-point was the magic mark to make the top-four. However, this year it is not the case. Earlier, many were of the opinion that CSK and KKR had already made it. But not to be.
All 6 teams (CSK, KKR, RR, RCB, SRH, MI) have a chance to make the playoffs. Delhi Daredevils (DD) and Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) are eliminated, though they have few more games to complete in the league.
RR, who started with 5 wins in a row are in danger of missing the playoffs again as they are left with one game to play. Currently they have 14 points and face KKR on May 16.
With 9 more matches remaining in the league stage, there will be lot of calculations before the top-four are spotted.
The league phase ends next Sunday (May 17). The 56th and last game is between Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) and Mumbai Indians (MI). On the same day, RCB lock horns with DD.
We might have to wait till the last day (at least for 2 slots) to witness who all qualify. Net run rate too could play a big role if sides end up with same number of points.
Team-wise games left and points (As on May 10)
- 1. CSK (2 to play, 16 points)
- 2. KKR (2, 15 points)
- 3. RR (1, 14 points)
- 4. RCB (3, 13 points)
- 5. SRH (3, 12 points)
- 6. MI (2, 12 points)
- 7. DD (2, 8 points) - Eliminated
- 8. KXIP (3, 4 points) - Eliminated
Remaining league matches in IPL 2015 (All times IST)
- Match 48 - 11 May (Monday) - SRH Vs KXIP (Hyderabad) 8 PM
- Match 49 - 12 May (Tuesday) - DD Vs CSK (Raipur) 8 PM
- Match 50 - 13 May (Wednesday) - KXIP Vs RCB (Mohali) 8 PM
- Match 51 - 14 May (Thursday) - MI Vs KKR (Mumbai) 8 PM
- Match 52 - 15 May (Friday) - SRH Vs RCB (Hyderabad) 8 PM
- Match 53 - 16 May (Saturday) - KXIP Vs CSK (Mohali) 4 PM
- Match 54 - 16 May - RR Vs KKR (Mumbai, Brabourne Stadium) 8 PM
- Match 55 - 17 May (Sunday) - RCB Vs DD (Bengaluru) 4 PM
- Match 56 - 17 May - SRH Vs MI (Hyderabad) 8 PM