Bengaluru, April 18: When fans think of Twenty20 cricket what comes to their minds is only big hits from the willows of batsmen. The shortest format of the game is tailor-made to unleash sixes and fours.
When the Indian Premier League (IPL) was launched in 2008, the cash-rich tournament's supporters thronged to the stadium and glued to television sets to see the ball fly all around the ground. (10 best bowling figures)
The league's first ever match in Bengaluru on April 18, 2008 indicated what will come over the years from IPL.
New Zealand's Brendon McCullum, playing for Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) set the IPL and M Chinnaswamy Stadium alight with a sensational 158 not out against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB). That record was broken by Chris Gayle in the 2013 with an epic 175 not out. (List of Gayle's records after 175*)
It was a night to remember for IPL fans in 2008. Since then, there have been several memorable knocks from the willows of Indian and overseas batsmen.
As IPL enters its 10th year this season, we look at the top 10 highest individual scores in the history of the league. Here they are.
Top 10 highest individual scores in IPL (as on April 17, 2017)
1. 175 not out (66 balls, 13x4, 17x6) by Chris Gayle (RCB) Vs Pune Warriors (PW) in Bengaluru - April 23, 2013
2. 158 not out (73 balls, 10x4, 13x6) by Brendon McCullum (KKR) Vs RCB in Bengaluru - April 18, 2008
3. 133 not out (59 balls, 19x4, 4x6) by AB de Villiers (RCB) Vs Mumbai Indians (MI) in Mumbai - May 10, 2015
4. 129 not out (52 balls, 10x4, 12x6) by De Villiers (RCB) Vs Gujarat Lions (GL) - Bengaluru - May 14, 2016
5. 128 not out (62 balls, 7x4, 13x6) by Gayle (RCB) Vs Delhi Daredevils (DD) - May 17, 2012
6. 127 (56 balls, 8x4, 11x6) by Murali Vijay (Chennai Super Kings - CSK) Vs Rajasthan Royals (RR) in Chennai - April 3, 2010
7. 122 (58 balls, 12x4, 8x6) by Virender Sehwag (Kings XI Punjab - KXIP) Vs CSK - Mumbai - May 30, 2014
8. 120 not out (63 balls, 19x4, 2x6) by Paul Valthaty (KXIP) Vs CSK in Mohali - April 13, 2011
9. 119 (56 balls, 13x4, 6x6) by Sehwag (DD) Vs DC in Hyderabad - May 5, 2011
10. 117 not out (53 balls, 11x4, 7x6) by Andrew Symonds (DC) Vs RR in Hyderabad - April 24, 2008