The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced the points system for World Cup 2015 and how teams will progress to quarter-finals if they are tied on equal points after the group stage.
Two points will be awarded for each win and 1 for tied, abandoned or no result matches. ICC has said 'Super Over' will not be used to determine winners in tied matches. In case of a tied final or no result, the trophy will be shared. (Team India Guide)
To decide how teams qualify for knockouts (quarter-finals) when on equal points, most number of wins will be considered and then comes into play net run rate.
World Cup 2015 will be held in Australia and New Zealand from February 14 to March 29.
Here are all the details about points system, method used to decide tied matches and how teams progress to quarter-finals if equal on points
ICC's World Cup 2015 playing conditions are as follows
21.10 Progression of Teams
21.10.1 Pool Matches
The following point system will apply:
Tie, No Result or Abandoned 1
- In the event of teams finishing on equal points in its Pool, the right to play in the quarter-finals will be decided in the following order of priority:
- The team with the most wins in the Pool matches will be placed in the higher position.
- If there are teams with equal points and equal wins in the Pool matches then in such case the team with the higher net run rate in
- the Pool matches will be placed in the higher position (refer to 21.10.5 below for the calculation of net run rate).
- If two or more teams are still equal, they will be ordered according to the head to head matches played between them (points then
- net run rate in those matches).
- In the highly unlikely event that teams cannot be separated by the above, teams will be ordered according to their original seeding.
- If all matches within a Pool are a no result, the top four seeded teams will progress to the quarter-finals.
21.10.2 Quarter Final
- If a quarter-final is tied, abandoned or if the match is a no result, then the team that finished in the higher position in the Pool stage shall proceed to the semi-finals.
21.10.3 Semi Final
- If a semi-final is tied, abandoned or if the match is a no result, then the team that finished in the higher position in the Pool stage shall proceed to the final.
- If the Final is tied, abandoned or if the match is a no result, then the teams will be declared joint winners